NUGENIA and the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment of Finland sign a Memorandum of understanding to collaborate and promote research, development and innovation in the safety and efficiency of nuclear power generation
The NUclear GENeration II and III Association (NUGENIA) and the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment of Finland signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on 29 August 2016 to foster future scientific and technical cooperation in the area of nuclear safety research.
The ceremony celebrating this signature took place in Helsinki, Finland, during the final meeting of the European NUGENIA Plus project (2013-2016), which aimed to support the Association in the coordination and integration of European research on the safety of Generation II and III nuclear installations in order to better ensure their safe long-term operation, integrate private and public efforts, and initiate international collaboration.
The SAFIR2018 programme is governed by the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment of Finland and ensures that authorities possess sufficient technical expertise and competences to rapidly determine the significance of an issue related to the safe use of nuclear power plants if it arises.
This MoU provides a framework for cooperation between NUGENIA and the Ministry for the promotion of nuclear safety research in the areas that are common to SAFIR2018 and the NUGENIA Technical Areas.
This will be achieved through the following activities:
- Research initiatives in strengthening safety of operating and future nuclear power plants using feedback from R&D projects related to the nuclear safety of design, construction, operation and decommissioning of nuclear power plants;
- Cooperation to facilitate alignment of research strategies and better planning of future R&D, and to enhance dialogue within the European nuclear research community;
- Cooperation to support the widest possible dissemination of publicly available nuclear safety information provided or exchanged in the areas described in this MoU, in compliance with all applicable treaties, laws and regulations regarding export control and non-proliferation;
- Exchange and dissemination of information, including possible publications and materials relevant to nuclear safety and related nuclear technologies applied to the development, design, operation, construction and decommissioning of nuclear power plants;
- Harmonisation and dissemination of state-of-the-art knowledge related to the safe operation of nuclear power facilities, including training and qualification of staff;
- Facilitation of access to nuclear R&D infrastructures, in particular the infrastructures of NUGENIA member organisations.
The NUGENIA President Michel Maschi underlined that:
“Considering today’s scarce resources for Gen II&III safety research in Europe, the significance of increased cooperation is in producing more R&D results with the same resources for a wider community while sharing efforts and minimising duplication among countries and/or projects. Additionally, cooperation is important to facilitate access to research infrastructures.”
“The Finnish way to run national research programmes in reactor safety under the SAFIR2018 is quite significant and rare in European terms. The new VTT Centre for Nuclear Safety to be inaugurated this September will bring new, important and long-lasting research infrastructures for Finland and Europe to serve the needs of the current and future Finnish NPPs and hopefully will further foster the research cooperation and services for other members of NUGENIA.”
“Yes, this Memorandum of Understanding signed today, is the clear illustration that NUGENIA is in fact strengthening its role in integrating the member state research programmes (and Finland is the first) in its global vision towards more collaborative R&D approach within Europe and worldwide.”
Contact: NUGENIA Secretariat: firstname.lastname@example.org